Jill starts:I really enjoyed meeting the new project participants today, and, of course, seeing a few who are continuing from last year.
Centres and course covered: vocational and pre-vocational certificates, VCAL, ESL Certificates and a range of short courses (too numerous to mention). Needs included:
- communication technology for web conferencing (online staff meetings, verification meetings, VCE holiday intensives, PD drop-in, skill-focused workshop)
- some sort of course management system (CMS) for secure e-lodgement of assessments (eg. Moodle, Wikispace with custom permissions,
- capture of evidence of competencies on work placements and in oracy tasks (Flip camera, mp3 player, Easi-speak, Voice Discussion boards-VOXopop, Ipadio phone blogs) - have a look at Junita's Flip blog
- scaffolded language tasks (text construction and narrated Powerpoints for ESL learners)
- smarter use of the internet and Youtube in the classroom (Interactive Whiteboard, embedding videos on wiki)
- induction program for new students (a blog or wiki hub to introduce the resources and services of the Centre)
At this point it's probably fruitful to widen our investigations, though further down the track we'll need to prioritise and narrow down the list of possible projects so that the task is not too daunting.
We might still allow ourselves to deviate at any stage and explore some of the Web2 tools that could immediately and (relatively) simply enhance our teaching practice. For example, I have been a fervent convert to Dropbox, a simple 'cloud' file management system that will sync my files between Netbook, mac and work PC. And for all things Google, have a look at Junita's Spruz page devoted to Google apps.
- What are they?
- How can we use them in the classroom?
- How do they work?
- Easipeak, Yeti,
- Blackboard Collaborate?
- How can I use e-Learning in the classroom?
- What about finding or generating interactive resources?
- How can I use youTube upload and what about
- How do we deal with privacy issues?
- Link to student only?
- Who can i turn to, & how do I problem-solve when up & running?
Possible project ideas:
- Wiki site
- Training & resources
How to make movies
- Storage of files
Photo credit: licensed under creative commons at flickr: Thanks very much: Geoftheref (sugra the juggler), Tanakhwo (Chinese juggler), and The Invizible (the juggler).